Tuesday, November 17, 2015

As Julie Andrews once sang, "Let's start at the very beginning."

Zachary and I officially met in Mrs. Lollar’s mixed chorus, I was in 7th grade and he was in 8th, while practicing in preparation for the “All City” and “All Regional” vocal competitions in Odessa, Texas. During this time I found the trouble maker in the corner was the reason that the long rehearsals were actually fun and entertaining. We both placed, which officially allowed me to try out for the few spots available the next year for the All-Freshman“Mixed Chorus.”


The following year we had choir class together and my intrigue grew to a crush, not that I let on of course(!)

Zack started dating someone that year but he always seemed to make his way over to talk to my group of friends. We spent the year as friends and then he went off to high school, I still had another year in junior high so we didn’t keep in touch.

The following year I walked into my sophomore chemistry class and low and behold, who was sitting in the seat right next to me as the bell rang? Mr Roberts. We were placed in a group with 3 others as lab partners for the semester where not only the class but our new rekindled friendship had chemistry. It didn’t take long for my close girl friends to catch on that this was something, so in true high school form my friend decided to put a game night together and invited him to join in—to this day I am grateful she did!

A group of us spent a Saturday evening playing Twister, Dance Dance rRevolution, and apples to apples until curfew struck and my friend’s mom told everyone to go home. I was convinced that he had no interest in me because he was always on the opposing side, until he offered to drive me home (around the block) where I lived. I immediately told my friend’s mom that I no longer needed a ride and happily accepted his offer.

During the ride home we were met by two very drunk men who pulled up beside his truck at a red light and insisted that I get out of the car. Zachary immediately locked the doors, rolled the windows up, and told me to not make eye contact with them until we drove off. The light turned green and both cars advanced but they were not leaving, Zack told me that he was not taking me home until they left us alone-- in that moment I not only knew I could trust him but that I felt safe with him-- we traveled on for another 5 minutes until we got caught at another light with the drunks right beside us. I naturally thought I was going to die, "goodbye cruel world" and all that jazz but Zack kept his cool, which infuriated the dynamic duo enough for one to chunk a beer at his truck before speeding off, covering Zack's truck with a coating of beer!

We pulled up in front of my house, 15 minutes past curfew and smelling of beer, GREAT first impression right?? Luckily my parents were more impressed with the guy with the quick thinking that kept their daughter safe than the guy who brought their daughter home late and smelling of alcohol at 15.

After that night Zack and I talked almost every night and in the classes that we had together throughout the day, we still we in choir together and my fiance (yea I said it) is still a wonderful singer. We spent time at each others houses getting to know the families- Zack claims to this day that the fact that I came in and gave his mom a hug while inducing myself made all the difference and I like to think the same! We even spent 30 minutes of his sister's birthday with his family but didn't even have time to eat cake so that we could make my parents (accidental) curfew. Still interested? Ask my mom for the full story haha! We went to friends birthday parties, went to watch each others games, and met during class changes in the hallway. Our friendship grew to a real like for each other, I had actually declined being his girlfriend once at this point, because had told Zack I didn't want to just rush into a relationship without establishing a friendship. I told him that he had to wait until after Christmas first....

November 30, 2007 came and after a movie date while, walking him out to his truck (sister spying from the window) I told him that, "Christmas came early" and I would love to be his girlfriend if the offer still stood. I think we all know his answer and we shared our first kiss that night, the first of many more to come unbeknownst to either of us.



Powder Puff Game 2010
Prom 2010

Mom's Birthday 2011
Zack's Graduation 2013


My Graduation 2014
Henley's Parents Weekend 2015


The 8 next years grew from like to love, we traveled to Austin, Texas, withstood my crazy freshman year (some of you might know what this means-- to those I apologize), endured long distance, and that brought us to November 14, 2015 "The Engagement".


3 comments:

  1. So happy that you have made a blog for everyone to follow! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you guys look like such babies in those early pictures!! Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hold on one second as I wipe the tear away from my eye, because I was here from the beginning and remember every one of these sweet moments!! So beautiful :) I love that you have started a blog to tell your precious story! Love you so much <3

    ReplyDelete